Quantcast
How often to feed my anemones?

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors

Thread: How often to feed my anemones?

Tunicate

How often to feed my anemones?

I got two anemones over the weekend and confused on how often to feed them meaty foods. Got them on Saturday placed them in the tank where I wanted them and of course they figured out a much better place. Well I fed them a very small piece of frozen raw shrimp on Sunday morning and then again tonight. They are both eating very well and seem fine from what I can tell. (first anemones). Don't get me wrong I research very well but get a ton of conflicting info. When they are small feed them every day to every other day. When bigger feed them once a week to every 2 weeks. Seen some that say once a month. What portion size of shrimp should I give them? When I say very small it is small. I feed them with a turkey baster. I got a Condy and a purple tipped condy. Here are some pics of them. Do they look pretty good? Lighting I have a Coral Life 53106 2x65W Actinic 03 + 2x65W 10000K. (Pics are from phone sorry if a little blurry)

Re: How often to feed my anemones?

You do not have enough light. They like a lot of light and unfortunately PC lights just do not have the kick. Other than that they look good. I feed my nems about three times a week. Shaun

Just an invisible trying to swim
    VISIT MY CLUB SITE: www.iowareefs.com Ask me about Iowa reef events!

you dont really NEED to feed them. I feed mine every 2 days since I like watching him eat. IAs long as the food is smaller than his mouth, you'll be oK.

Tunicate

Quote Originally Posted by Reddog170 View Post
    You do not have enough light. They like a lot of light and unfortunately PC lights just do not have the kick. Other than that they look good. I feed my nems about three times a week. Shaun
    Could ya direct me to a better lighting source for a 55g? I'll be more than happy to upgrade. This equipment was given to me by a friend who got out of fish keeping.

Just an invisible trying to swim
    VISIT MY CLUB SITE: www.iowareefs.com Ask me about Iowa reef events!

Midas Blenny

I would suggest T5's. I cant speak for Pc's as i have never tried them before but most people would suggest you T5's or metal halides.

I had a 4x54w wavepoint fixture over my 55gal and i could keep some sps near the top.
    Then i upgraded to a 6x65w T5 Nova extreme Pro. Now you really don't need a 6 bulb to keep your corals alive but i loved it.
    Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 10k/460nm Actinics
    You would need the 48'' for the 55gal

Here is my old tank. 55gal with the 6x nova extreme pro.

Also, those Anemones look fine atm but idk how long they will last.
    If they have good light that's their main food source, though i fed mine some krill 1-2 times a week but then stopped. lol

Tunicate

Thanks guys for the responses, will be ordering new lighting today =)

Reef Shark

Quote Originally Posted by Rythic View Post
    I got two anemones over the weekend ... They are both eating very well and seem fine from what I can tell. (first anemones). ... I got a Condy and a purple tipped condy. Here are some pics of them. Do they look pretty good? ...
    I disagree with some of the others. In my opinion your anemones have a serious problem. Note how they are both white. A healthy condy should look brown or brownish pink or browinish purple . Yours have lost their symbiotic algae. Here is a link to a picture of how a typical healthy one shoud look (offsite) - Condy Anemone, Giant Golden Anemone, Condylactis Anemone, Atlantic Anemone, Haitian Anemone, Sea Anemone Facts and Sea Anemone Pictures

They can recover, but to do this they do need some excellent light, and excellent water quality. You are doing the right thing by feeding them. I would feed them only once or twice a week.

Condy's can be white. From your own link Dave:

Description
    Appearance of a Sea Anemone: The Condy Anemone or Giant Golden Anemone can be several colors including pink, purple, gold, white, green and peach. They mostly have white or cream tentacles........

Reef Shark

Yea, I know say say they can be white. I'm saying a white one has problems from the loss of it's symbiotic algae. Now others may disagree. That's fine, but it's been my experience that white ones either become brown with good care or shrink up and die. I am als of the belief that most LFS stock the white or pink ones because they sell quickly, compared to brown ones.

I have kept anemones under pc, t5 and metal halide, they do the best under halide, but can also thrive under t5. As for the powercompacts, make sure the anemone is high upin your tank. And when you feed it, you can use your hands and just drop food on it, use tweezers, however you like.
    http://thereefersspot.blogspot.com/
    http://myworld.ebay.com/wedocorals - corals starting at 99 cents

-125g reef with 30g sump-
    -55g FOWLR-
    -46g FOWLR-just taken down, replaced with 60g frag tank with a 20g sump
    -one 10g hospital/quarantine tank-
    ---lots of frags and nassarius snails for sale, if interested, pm me---

Thread Information