Quantcast
How long can tank survive without power?

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors

Thread: How long can tank survive without power?

How long can tank survive without power?

I have gone through the past month dealing with hurricanes and no power. This last one "RITA" left us without power for 2 days then it was on for 2 days then off for another day. So far, I have only lost one fish (my favorite, of course) and everything else seems to be doing OK. So, for the next power outage how long can my tank survive without power? Do the battery powered airstone things really work?

Re: How long can tank survive without power?

how long depends on a lot of actors including bioload. what you can to to help the tank in every hour or so syphon out several gallons of water and pour it back into the tank from a height of at least a foot. this will airate the water. if its cool out insulate the tank with a blanket. stop feed ing the fish for the duration of the power outage.

and yes those battery operated pumps really do work.

~Welcome to my nightmare~
    I think you're gonna like it
    I think you're gonna feel you belong.
    A walk to vacation,
    A necessary sedation,
    You wanna feel at home cause' you belong.

*Disclaimer*
    i say this as my best advice to a beginner. do not,,,and i repeat,,,,,DO NOT look at my tank as an example....i have a well practised eye, decades of experience, and a trunkload of failures to allow me to force the issue and get away with things most cannot~
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    I couldn't agree more on your statement above. With 61 yrs in the hobby, the last 41 yrs in the saltwater end exclusively, I, too, can do things that others should NOT.

Unless you are in the flooded zone...hurry go buy a 1000VA UPS ($99 at Costco) and a low wattage air pump. You run the air pump an hour on then two hours off. That should last you at least 24 hours.

A lot depends on heat. I think that's the real killer. No A/C because the power is out over a hot day or two can spell trouble.

Also, tank volume is important- holds more oxygen, heats up less quickly.

T

Quote Originally Posted by fish2reef
    I have gone through the past month dealing with hurricanes and no power. This last one "RITA" left us without power for 2 days then it was on for 2 days then off for another day. So far, I have only lost one fish (my favorite, of course) and everything else seems to be doing OK. So, for the next power outage how long can my tank survive without power? Do the battery powered airstone things really work?
    well I have now learned that it is a good idea to either purchase a genrator or a battery powered outlet like what they offer at live aquaria.com. I just lost my entire contents of my salt water tank. I have been without power for two days now i went and rented a generater sat morning when my fish were still alive. but unfortunately the damage was already done. so those of you who dont have either a genrator or battery powered power source i suggest you get one. i now have to restock the $ 200.00 in fish i just lost. my homeowners ins doesnt cover it infortunately cause it was caused by mother nature. 70 mph winds ans two bigs trees narrowly missing mine and my neighbors houses. just wanted to pass this along.......Soon as i restock i will post new pics.......thanks cathy

I think the main concern would be the lack of heat (during the winter). I lost a fish last winter when the power was out for 30 hours. The water temp really dropped. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the outage (at work) for about 10 hours. I didn't even think about putting a blanket or something over the tank.

Frank

Thread Information