Quantcast
The refugium/ mangrove/ seagrass tank has arrived!

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The refugium/ mangrove/ seagrass tank has arrived!

The refugium/ mangrove/ seagrass tank has arrived!

Ok I am officially overwhelmed those few that have followed my threads;
    My new experimental tank
    Take the oath, "I will buy only farmed clowns"
    These will be delayed for now so I can work my refugium for this tank;
    A new tank for Dave
    I'm posting it here because it concentrates on grass and mangroves.
    So let the questions begin!!
    Any dedicated grass people use Carib Sea Refugium Mineral Mud? I have two gallons of it I have had for sometime I plan on using it in the refugium with the seagrass, what do you think? Also has everyone that has used the mud mixed it with fine sand?
    I have found two places that have marine grass;
    <head> <title>Macro Algae : Your Source For Quality Marine Plants and Macroalgae They are out right now..
    ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Plants/Macroalgae John has some.
    Anyone know of other grass salesman, "Ah Marine grass not any other grass"
    I have a 150 HQI light that I plan on putting over the tank and I was wondering what bulb some used?
    Any info will help greatly I have hit allot of websites but want more true experienced peoples advice.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Jesus is the way. http://www.lifechurch.tv /

Take the oath; "I your name here will not buy ANY wild clownfish anymore. I will buy only farmed clownfish from here on to eternity"
    Take the oath; "I your name here" will ensure I thank my maker for everything I have of meaning, faith, family, and friends!!!

Re: The refugium/ mangrove/ seagrass tank has arrived!

I have a Hamilton 250w now but changing it (on the advice of other RSers) to 150w Phoenix for me when I build my hanger.... I just set up my CPR Aqua Fuge PS 2 and I'm very interested in mud so I'm following along!!
    Cat

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...gelmouse-3.jpg

RSM 130D
    45 lbs of Bali/aquacultured rock
    Tunze 9002 with StevieT Media Rack
    MP10 ES
    RSM 250- Set up and housing coral frags.
    28g JBJ Nano HQI Office tank

29h Nem Tank

25g Frag Tank- waiting for a LED light!
    GHL Profilux Reefers Pack
    27g Sump
    CMAS Member

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    -Maya Angelou

Are you making a refugium or a tank?

It's more of a tank but hope the sea grass will keep the nutrients down. Not sure if I will put fish or not just more interested in growing grass and mangrove.

Take the oath; "I your name here will not buy ANY wild clownfish anymore. I will buy only farmed clownfish from here on to eternity"
    Take the oath; "I your name here" will ensure I thank my maker for everything I have of meaning, faith, family, and friends!!!

Dave - you might find this tank thread interesting/helpful. I'm not sure what ever happened to this tank:

Clown's Indo-Pacific Lagoon
    aka Terry
    Excellence in reefkeeping is achieved by mastering the fundamentals, and learning from mistakes.
    34g Red Sea Max 130 (April 07), ~50-60 lbs. live rock. Lighting: Sol Super Blue LED with AI controller. Vortech MP10ES & battery backup, LifeReef Siphon, Sump, SWC Extreme 120 cone skimmer, Tunze Osmolator ATO, ReefKeeper Lite L3 controller

Reefmack's RSM 130 and...Red Sea Max Owners Club

If its going to be a tank I bet it is awesome, I thought you meant it would be more like a refugium thats hidden

Great thread I will try and run through it tonight. Yes it will be a tank on a stand, I bought an 18X18X18 Mr aqua and a matching stand for my reef tank. Under this cabinet the chiller and the ballasts will go, "also got a 150 HQI for it" I will build limited rock structure and 4-5" of mud and sand.
    I do have some worries like will the substrate mud furnish enough nutriets as I run beads and my phosphate and nitrate are "last time I checked" undetectable with Salifert? Have more just can't think of them right now

The tank has arrived and yesterday I coated the stand bottom with fiberglass resin, clear coated the outside, and arranged the chiller and ballast in said stand. I have posted pictures of the tank sitting on the stand just to see what it looks like and now it will go back off for drilling. As I sit here and type I am contemplating drilling extra holes and installing a closed loop, "what do you guys think"? I might install the loop to keep pumps out of the tank and help with the flow happy grasses. After the holes and back painting and such I am going to build the rock "bank" for the shoreline look and hopefully the mangroves will grow and it will look cool

So it's just cruising right along

Not looking real great yet, but hopefully as my vision unfolds it will be very cool!!

This is the chiller and ballast under the stand the sump is under the other stand where the reef sits.

This is from the top you can see the chiller, ballast, power strips, and much wire.

The new setup looks nice!
    aka Terry
    Excellence in reefkeeping is achieved by mastering the fundamentals, and learning from mistakes.
    34g Red Sea Max 130 (April 07), ~50-60 lbs. live rock. Lighting: Sol Super Blue LED with AI controller. Vortech MP10ES & battery backup, LifeReef Siphon, Sump, SWC Extreme 120 cone skimmer, Tunze Osmolator ATO, ReefKeeper Lite L3 controller

Well I was ill a day and everything was delayed. I'm much better today and I have the holes drilled and just sprayed the first coat of paint on the back. I decided not to go with the closed loop after seeing Julian Sprungs refugium; YouTube - Julian Sprung&#39;s Refugium coral tank I became very jealous and noticed no supplemental flow? At least I did not see any, so I am going low flow "whats good for the big JS is good for me" Really check out the video his refugium looks better than alot of tanks Well I should get it plumbed to day and if it is not late I will take some pic's and post them.

Well sorry I did not get plumbed, I took my skimmer out to do some sump work and wow! The calcium was thick. I had to go buy a boat load of vinagar and soak it. I'm actually surprised on how well it worked in such a bad maintained condition. This is unlike me to let things go I also cleaned my reator pump for the carbon and the hoses to and from it. When I re-plumbed my chiller I also saw that in the near future I will have to soak the evaporator on it due to heavy scale that is probably bringing its efficiency way down. Can't let the maintenance go

Rolling right along I now have some water in the refugium, also the rock I had some nice big Fiji branch that was in another tank I had and it just looked right so it is in there. I have 4" of substrate 3 of mud and 1 or so of sand. Once the water clears I will cut it into the main tank an see how it goes hopefully the pump can support all systems and there is enough flow. I get the ballast for the light tomorrow and have to figure out how my light hanger is going to work for both lights and keep the wife happy.

This is the mud substrate.

Another mud.

The tank with rock and water you can see the layers of substrate mud to sand.

On another note one of the jars of mud had some interesting stuff in it, piece of a plastic bag, pebbles, found it odd.

Enjoy,
    Dave

Well got a shipment of astreas, emerald crabs, cerith snails, blue legs, red feather dusters, and 3 Black and white damsels, (Blue Axil, Chromis) to be exact. The CUC guys are spread about the three tanks. The damsels are amazing I don't see them allot and was glad to get them. I will post pic's later after they settle in.

Looking forward to the pictures!
    aka Terry

Lets get this thing going!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information