Quantcast
How often do fire cleaner shrimp shed?

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do fire cleaner shrimp shed?

How often do fire cleaner shrimp shed?

Just wondering! Does it have to do with a calcium amount, so it varies from tank to tank? Cause that is what I was thinking...

Re: How often do fire cleaner shrimp shed?

Mine sheds every couple of weeks to a month.

They molt as they get bigger.
    Mine also molts every 2 or 3 to 6 weeks.
    A 55g link in the GoldenChain

2 (+) Year Retrospective of a 12g Nano

12g Nano Phoenix Rises.

Jeff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few."
    - Shunryo Suzuki-Roshi

Great White Shark michael_cb_125's Avatar

Iodine is very important dor the health of shrimp, they need the proper amounts to shed.
    Mine shed about twice a month.-Michael
    All Fish are "Semi-Reef Safe"

Mine seems to shed with the cycle of the moon. Lately it's been within about 48 hrs following the last day of the full moon.
    90g Perfecto
    (custom drilled)

Equipment:
    Reef Fanatic HQI lighting Retrofit 2x250W HQI + PFO 2x110W VHO Actinic = 720 watts.
    Reeflo Barracuda (closed loop circ), OceansMotions 4 way + 2 Revolutions Nozzleheads
    Sump 1 (46.5x 17.75x 15.5), twin Mag 18 return pumps, EuroReef RS135 & DIY Beckett Skimmers
    Sump 2 In Basement: (46.5x 17.75x 20) Pacific Coast 1/4hp Chiller, Phosban reactor

24g Aquapod as refugium
    (fed w/350gph w/gravity drain to display sump)

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopo...5/DSCN1799.jpg
    Livestock:
    2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Long Nose Hawkfish, 1 Foxface Rabbitfish, 1 Orchid Dottyback, 1 Valentini Puffer, 1 Yellow Tang. (still adding fish).
    Inverts:
    1 Heteractis magnifica, 1 Coralbanded Shrimp, 1 Pistol Shrimp, 2 Peppermint Shrimp, Snails(astrea, turbo, nerite, nasarius, cerith)
    Corals:
    misc zoos, asst shrooms, lavender tip acropora, Artic Blue Cloves, Green Hammer.
    Macroalgae:
    Chaetomorpha SP., Caulerpa Prolifera.

Iodine is only need in very minute amounts. It is called a trace element. It is poisonous in larger amounts (this is why it is used to sterilize for surgery). It is neccessary for shrimp and all animals in very minute amounts. Shrimp are able to incorpate excess iodine into their exoskeleton and then shed to get rid of it. This has led to the belief that it helps them molt. It really causes them to molt to rid their bodies of toxic amounts.
    You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless. You got to keep on hoping and cover your ears and go "blah blah blah blah"- Futurama

Every few weeks is normal.... but also note that overly frequent shedding has been looked at as a sign of stress..... yes you can shed TOO much

Allen

"Let us help you Geek Your Reef"
    www.ReefBytes.com

> > > >Read ME < < < < when you're in need of answers or help with your tank.

Take nothing from the sea unless it is plentiful.

Egg-Crate SUX
    Quote Originally Posted by Setragni View Post
    Having a reef tank is more about keeping water than fish or corals.
    Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

Ask me about how to increase your REEF budget without going without FOOD!!

Big Al's 10g....Retired BigAl's Slow 90g Tank Chronicle.... Retired

Allens OFFICE 12g Nano-Reef....

2013 LED Upgrade from StevesLED for the NanoCube 12g

and the latest member of my WET family is . . .
    BigAl's Mountain Reef RSM 130D - 2/2011

Is it unhealthy if the shrimp very rarely molts?

It might molt and you just don't notice it. Sometimes they molt in a little cave, and then hang out there until they grow another exoskeleton. They also eat the molt because it's rich in calcium.
    Terry

150g predator tank full of killers. Soon to be upgraded to a 360g.

450g reef

300g sump.

Younger shrimps molt more often than older shrimps because they are growing faster. The molt is initiated by growth hormones not by iodine. Iodine aids in a successful molt, but does not initiate it.
    Scott

Dentoid's Reeforama

Quote Originally Posted by rlcline76 View Post
    I assure you there are nastier body parts one could put in a tank.

I"ve read about the excess iodine shed as well in addition to the growth shed.
    Where do we go for a ruling on this?
    Victor
    -----
    People come into our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person. When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Great White Shark kathywithbirds's Avatar

I'd heard about the iodine with the molts... but if they eat the molt wouldn't that be re-consuming the iodine they just shed?
    (\_/)
    ( . .)
    (")(")

"Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials." ~Lin Yutang

They are not likely to eat a molt that was caused by excess iodine. Molting or shedding the exoskeleton is normal behavior for growth and repair. Molting due to iodine will be in addition to this normal behavior. They will shed more frequently if you dose iodine in order to help rid the body of the excess.
    You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless. You got to keep on hoping and cover your ears and go "blah blah blah blah"- Futurama

Who uses iodine: Shrimp

As one moves up the food chain to more sophisticated organisms, data on their ability to take up iodine from the water column becomes very sparse. Shrimp are known to have a need for iodine to grow, but that is only known in terms of a dietary requirement. The shrimp, Penaeus chinensis O'sbeck, for example, grows optimally when the diet contains 0.003% iodine.56

Shrimp apparently incorporate substantial amounts of iodoorganics into their bodies. The shrimp Pandalus borealis, for example, incorporates between 0.04 and 2 ppm iodine as iodoorganic compounds depending on the particular body tissues examined. Their roe were somewhat higher, up to 4 ppm iodine as iodoorganic compounds.57 Shrimp shells and other parts can contain up to 17 ppm by dry weight iodine, the majority of which is iodoorganic compounds58, but the values are still far lower than for other inverts like macroalgae, sponges, or gorgonia.

Still, the amount contained says nothing about whether iodine is an important requirement. I could find no scientific studies that showed that shrimp need iodine from the water column, but neither could I find any that demonstrates that they do not.
    Chemistry and the Aquarium

Am I totally wrong or doesn't the IODINE change chemically within the shrimp? Doesn't it have to be broken down and "Reconstituted" to be able to be "taken up" again by another animal?

Allen

"Let us help you Geek Your Reef"
    www.ReefBytes.com

> > > >Read ME < < < < when you're in need of answers or help with your tank.

Take nothing from the sea unless it is plentiful.

Egg-Crate SUX
    Quote Originally Posted by Setragni View Post
    Having a reef tank is more about keeping water than fish or corals.
    Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

Ask me about how to increase your REEF budget without going without FOOD!!

Big Al's 10g....Retired BigAl's Slow 90g Tank Chronicle.... Retired

Allens OFFICE 12g Nano-Reef....

2013 LED Upgrade from StevesLED for the NanoCube 12g

and the latest member of my WET family is . . .
    BigAl's Mountain Reef RSM 130D - 2/2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information